This bread is not only a mix of 5 simple ingredients (which you probably have in your pantry anyway), but it is a perfectly crusty and thick bread. It is dense and just slightly sweet, making it a perfect pairing with your favourite fall meals like stews or chilli. And to top it all off, it is done entirely in less than an hour.
What makes this bread so special? The main rising agent is- wait for it- beer.
Beer has a great deal amount of yeast in it, so it makes a perfect add-in for a delicious loaf of quick bread.
It is dense and moist, perfect for dipping or for butter-slathering. It is hearty and filling, offering that carbohydrate-laden satisfaction we all crave, especially as the weather gets colder. In other words, it is the best fall loaf you could possibly make!
So give yourself that one hour. Grab two beers (one for the recipe, one for you!). Make this loaf, and enjoy these fall weather days. Who knows, maybe it will become such a hit you will have to add it to your Thanksgiving table. I know I will be adding it to mine!
– 3 cups all-purpose flour
– 4 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 tbsp brown sugar
– 1 bottle of beer (about 350mL or 12 oz)- I used Corona, but any kind of beer is great! Be creative!
1. Preheat oven to 375F and grease a loaf pan.
2. Stir together all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, and then add the beer. Stir just until combined, and then pour the batter into the prepared pan.
3. Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until the top is slightly golden brown and the middle is set. Allow it to sit for at least 15 minutes before removing it from the pan.
4. Enjoy by itself with salted butter, or pair it with a hearty fall meal like chili (or both)!
Mmm! Salted butter…