Chocolate Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Filling
I must admit that I find the concept of the cronut rather off-putting, but I am absolutely fascinated with how popular these OTT treats seem to be. So I’m sure you can imagine how excited I was when I found the idea for cookie-dough stuffed chocolate cupcakes. I absolutely had to save it for the opportune occasion. A friend`s birthday fit the bill perfectly.
I followed my favourite chocolate cupcake and icing recipe I have used for years. I then whipped up a favourite cookie dough recipe. I got out a knife and cut holes in the tops of my cupcakes and stuffed in that cookie dough, then slathered the whole thing with a rich ganache-like icing. OTT? I think so. Even Princess Kate Middleton would crack a chocolatey smile after a bite.
They are sinfully delicious. We love them because we know how wrong they are. I mean, cookie dough in cupcakes? Somewhat over-the-top. But that’s what makes it so good!
– 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
– 3/4 cup granulated sugar
– 1 tsp baking soda
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1 cup warm water
– 2 tbsp canola oil
– 1 tbsp white vinegar
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– 1.5 oz unsweetened chocolate, melted
1. Heat oven to 350F, and put paper liners into your muffin tin
2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add water, oil, vinegar, and vanilla. Stir carefully just until combined. Lastly, stir in the melted chocolate.
3. Divvy up the batter among your prepared muffin tins (I was able to make about 18 cupcakes), filling the cups only half way.
4. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean, or the tops bounce back when you press lightly with your finger. Allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
Makes 18 cupcakes
– 3 tbsp softened butter
– 1 cup powdered sugar
– 1/4 cup cocoa powder
– 2 to 3 tbsp milk
– 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Beat the butter in a small bowl. Add powdered sugar and cocoa alternatively with the milk until it reaches a spreadable consistency. Stir in the vanilla extact.
Make your favourite eggless cookie dough, or make my absolute favourite chocolate chip cookie dough (not egg free, but so delicious!).