Chorizo and Chicken Paella
Disclaimer: Thank you to The Little Potato Company for sponsoring this blog post! All wording, recipes and opinions are entirely my own.
Paella is a dish I absolutely love. The crispy bits of rice, the abundance of well-seasoned seafood, and of course the generous dose of spices. This Chorizo and Chicken Paella is nothing short of delicious but with more winter-friendly ingredients for Canadians during the cold months. I love the mix of chicken and spicy sausage, particularly with the smoked paprika, saffron and turmeric that brighten and infuse the rice. This recipe also has pieces of Chilean Splash potatoes that offer a toothsome bite and wonderful purple contrast to this turmeric-hued dish.
The Little Potato Company’ Chilean Splash potatoes have something to flaunt! These small, robust yellow Creamers have a bold splash of purple ornamenting their skin and they’re just. so. good.
Want a chance to try the Chilean Splash potato varietal? I’ve got a month’s supply of potatoes up for grabs, and it is open to both Canadian and US residents! Enter below:
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Recipe adapted from BBC.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts (about 500 g), cubed
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 scant cup of thinly sliced cooked chorizo (or other spicy sausage)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 cup Chilean Splash potatoes from The Little Potato Company, cut into quarters
- 1 and 1/2 cups bomba rice
- 3 cups + 2 tbsp chicken stock
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 small red tomato, chopped
- fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped finely, as garnish
- lemon wedges for serving
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the chicken breast and cook until no longer pink, about 7-10 minutes. Remove from pot and set aside.
- Add in the onions and cook until translucent, about 5-10 minutes. Tip in the chorizo, stirring constantly, until the oils begin to seep out of the sausage. Add the garlic, turmeric, saffron and paprika. Then add the rice and potatoes, stirring to coat in the spices for about 2 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of stock and cover, reducing the heat to medium-low. Allow to cook for about 15 minutes without stirring. Add in the peas, tomato, and the cubed chicken, and season well with salt and pepper. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes or until the rice and potatoes are fully cooked. Stir in the last bit of stock, taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- When ready to serve, garnish with lemon wedges and sprinkle with fresh parsley.