Coconut Lemon Squares
This recipe is the perfect balance of chewiness and crispiness that I look for in a delicious lemon square. The added coconut is lovely, plus it is also has more depth than other recipes I’ve tried, as it isn’t crammed with so much sugar. In this recipe, you can actually taste the other ingredients (a revelation!) 🙂
Lemon Coconut Squares
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- zest from one lemon (about 2 tsp)
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 13×9-inch pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar together, then fold in the flour and salt. Texture will resemble coarse sand. Press the dough in your prepared pan, and bake for 15 minutes until just starting to turn slightly golden around the edges.
- In a large bowl beat your eggs lightly and then add the sugar and lemon juice and baking powder. Mix well. Pour into your semi-baked crust and pop the entire thing back in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and completely set. Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.
Makes between 18-24 bars.
Note: these are just as tasty on the second day!