Date squares remind me of picnics. Linen table cloths, plastic plates and cutlery, warm breezes and fresh food. Primarily because they are so portable and easy. And even if they do get squished, or crammed, or jostled, they still taste wonderful. Especially with vanilla yogurt or mocha ice cream. I’ll just sit here and wait for summer to come, so we can get on this awesome date square and mocha ice cream combo.
Not a date fan? This recipe also works beautifully with dried apricots!
– 8 oz dried dates, chopped
– 1 tbsp brown sugar
– 1/2 cup water
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 1/2 tsp baking soda
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1-cm size cubes
– 3/4 cup brown sugar
– 2 cups large flake oatmeal
1. Bring the dates, 1 tbsp brown sugar, and water to a boil in a sauce pan. Continue cooking until the dates can be mashed with a fork.
2. Meanwhile, in a food processor combine the flour, baking soda, and salt. Pulse a couple times then add the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add brown sugar and oatmeal, pulsing just until incorporated.
3. Preheat oven to 350F. Press half the crumb mixture into the bottom of an 8-inch square pan. Spread the date mixture overtop, then top with the rest of the crumb mixture.
4. Bake for 25 minutes or until slightly golden around the edges. Allow to cool before cutting into squares. Best served slightly warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!