Mocha Waffle Torte
I have a confession: I’m not big on Valentine’s day. But when my food blogging crew wanted to do a Valentine’s day round-up, I couldn’t refuse! We decided to post our favourite chocolate dessert to celebrate this romantic day and offer some interesting suggestions on what other lovebirds can make together. What, after all, is more romantic that baking a delicious and chocolate-y treat for your significant other?
My creation is a quick and easy cake- but made rich and indulgent. Imagine waffle layers sandwiched with mocha mascarpone mousse, doused in a generous coating of chocolate ganache. Needless to say, it will surely tempt your sweetie!
Mocha Waffle Torte
- plain square wafer sheets (3) sliced in half to create 6 layers
mocha mascarpone mousse:
- 1 cup mascarpone
- 1 espresso shot, or 2 tsp instant espresso mixed with 3 tbsp warm water
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 150g dark chocolate
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Create the mocha mascarpone mousse by mixing the mascarpone and espresso and set aside. In another bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks form, add the sugar, and whip again until firm peaks forms. Fold in the mascarpone mixture.
- Place a wafer sheet on parchment paper and add about 1/5th of the mocha mousse mixture, spreading it as evenly as possible and right to the edges. Place another wafer sheet on top, and continue until you’ve used 6 wafer sheets (the top layer shouldn’t have any mocha mousse on it). Place another piece of parchment paper on the top and place a heavy object- like a large cookbook- on the top to weigh it down. Put it in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before continuing to the next step.
- Make the ganache by heating the chocolate, cream, and butter in a double-boiler (or in 20-second increments in the microwave), stirring frequently, just until the chocolate is melted. Bring the waffle torte out from the fridge and pour the ganache over the top. Allow the chocolate to reach room temperature before putting the torte in the fridge until ready to serve.
Be sure to check out some of the other delicious and decadent creations by some other great bloggers!
3-Ingredient Dairy-Free Chocolate Raspberry Cups by The Refreshanista
Chocolate Dipped Honeycomb by My Kitchen Love
Chocolate Spice Fig Truffles by The Busy Baker
Cocoa-Rubbed Drumsticks by Chew Street
Dark Chocolate Rosewater Truffles by The Cinnamon Scrolls
Gooey Caramel Cookie Cups by Liv for Cake
Savoury Chocolate Ravioli with Ricotta-Beet Filling by Imagelicious
Two-Bite Mochi Brownies by The Chewy Life