Old-Fashioned Molasses Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
Well, mother nature, I have decided that you will just have to hold off on autumn, because I didn’t get to take full advantage of the summertime months. Just one more month, please and thank you.
Now that we’ve cleared that up, please steer your attention to this absolutely divine and not-too-heavy old-fashioned molasses cake. This cake is actually heart healthy! The cream cheese icing is not. 🙂
The spice cake is soft, moist, and flavourful of molasses with hints of ginger and cinnamon. It offers a beautiful contrast to the sweet and slightly-tangy taste of the icing. Both make for a perfect not-quite-autumn treat. I hope you try it out!
Old-Fashioned Molasses Spice Cake
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9-inch square baking pan. In a large bowl, stir together the oil and sugar, and then whisk in the egg. Add the molasses, and stir until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, spices, and salt. Add to the molasses mixture, stirring until well combined (it will be very sticky!). Slowly pour in the hot water and mix.
Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack, and ice the cake only when it is completely cooled.
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1/2 lb cream cheese (about 2 blocks), room temperature
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 and 1/2 lb confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
- Mix together the cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer. Add the confectioners sugar about 1 cup at a time, mixing between each addition. Once you have incorporated the sugar, you can fold in the extract.
- Ice the cake! You will have leftover icing, but that’s okay because,you can store in the fridge for a week or in the freezer for 6 months. Save it for another day!