After our numerous (sometimes disastrous) attempts at grilling meat, we inadvertently became hamburger connoisseurs. How, you ask, does one accidentally become a hamburger connoisseur? The answer is simple: you know how to make the absolute perfect, yet original, hamberg.
We aimed for both a perfectly-cooked, moist, flavourful patty and an accompanying tangy sauce. I think the garnishes are just as important as what goes into the patty, and this garnish is far more than decoration! With its Peruvian flair and perfectly-spiced notes, you will probably even use this sauce in other dishes because it is so delicious. But don’t let my sauce-obsession deter you… the patties are spot-on amazing too!
- 450g medium-lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup oatmeal
- 1 large egg
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 4 burger buns
- Preheat grill on high.
- Meanwhile, mix together all the burger ingredients and form them into four uniform-sized patties (your hands work best at this!).
- Once the grill is good and hot, reduce the heat slightly (medium-high) and cook the patties 4 minutes a side. Flip only once. At the last two minutes of total cooking time, add your buns to the top grill so they toast slightly.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- zest of one lime
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- salt and pepper to taste
- Mix together all the above ingredients. Cover with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- Add it to your burgers along with a slice of tomato and some lettuce. You will be in flavour heaven!!
This sauce is also amazing on grilled vegetables!